Tuesday 17 April 2007

Poetry the Greatest Literary Art?

I've said for years that Short-Story writing is a higher-state art than novels (and I've often been frustrated by how "blind" people are to the finer points of shorts-writing.

But now I'm studyng poetry a lot more seriously, I'm coming to agree with whoever it was said that poetry is the pinnacle.

I'm finding it REALLY hard to get to grips with.

I now see (in my behaviour) the same kind of lame lack of insight (me into poetry) as I often complain about when talking of other readers looking at short-stories.

What worries me (or is it more it explains stuff?) is that out there may be people reading quality short-stories and totally "missing" them, just as I suspect i would often miss the quality poem if it was submitted to me.

I'm definitely getting better, but I think it's going to take me 12 months hard work reading poems, writing poems, reading ABOUT poems, reading "How to read a poem" books etc just to have half an idea.

But watch this space.

If I live long enough, I WILL crack it.




alx

No comments: