Thursday 22 March 2007

JP 22nd March

Shouldn't be working, not really. Signed off from work with something nobody can quite diagnose but if I could sum it up in a sound, it would be "uggg".

Need a Primaries story; have written a 2500 word story today but want to leave it for a while. It's funny how the authors I read really affect the style I sit down and find myself writing in. Not conscious imitation, just subliminal - what's the word? Me-too-ism? Some more than others. I could never write like Carver. I'm too fond of a cheap linguistic trick; I am that tart who can't help but flash her knickers.

My biggest problem is I am too keen to write, write, write, and not keen enough to rewrite, rewrite, submit. This means I have a slew of stories which do reasonably well on the grid (ask Alex about that - The Grid 101) but I never rewrite and submit. This year, 6 of my stories have broken 110 which was a significant barrier for me (breached once in 2005, once in 2006, 6 times in 2007), but the thought of rewriting them makes me want to stick pins in my eyes.

Not submitting to ezines also closes off avenues, but I'm not going to complain about a personal choice. That would be churlish.

Am thinking about a new regime: Month by Month
Week 1-3: write new work
Week 4: polish, submit - gestate new ideas for next month week 1-3

We'll see.

No comments: