Friday 23 March 2007

Well, it's a story

I've had a really heavy week and written loads but plenty going on in my real-world life.

Got my story in early then had to take son to hospital.

When they took his cast off, there were wires sticking out of his arm, out of little rubber grommets. I thought he'd say "Wow, Cool! but he went white. Maybe he won't be a doctor after all.

Anyway almost six hours out today, and I still had that challenge.


Well sometimes prompts just don't click. I did try, and NOTHING.


Then I had a brainwave.


I put a word per line, sorted them alphabetically, then set myself the challenge of writing a story using every word IN ORDER.
This sometimes feels "impossible" or "onerous" and SURELY it must be calculated, cold, "plotted", conscious, left-brained?

Actually NO it isn't. For some reason the words taking you in "an unnatural direction" seem to find stuff in you that you didn't think would be there.

So TWO stories today, over 3,000 words.


Yay Boot Camp!


alx

No comments: